The FTC estimates that as many as 9 million Americans have their identities stolen each year. Identity theft is serious and can come in many forms. Thieves may rent an apartment, obtain a credit card, or open a phone account in your name. They use your name, Social Security number or credit card number to commit these crimes.

How are identities stolen?
Identity thieves employ lots of different methods to take your information such as:

  • Dumpster Diving. They rummage through trash looking for bills or other paper with your personal information on it.
  • Skimming. They steal credit/debit card numbers by using a special storage device when processing your card.
  • Phishing. They pretend to be financial institutions or companies and send spam or pop-up messages to get you to reveal your personal information.
  • Changing Your Address. They divert your billing statements to another location by completing a change of address form.
  • Old-Fashioned Stealing. They steal wallets and purses; mail, including bank and credit card statements; pre-approved credit offers; and new checks or tax information. They steal personnel records, or bribe employees who have access.
  • Pretexting. They use false pretenses to obtain your personal information from financial institutions, telephone companies, and other sources.

How do I know if my identity has been stolen?
Vigilance. Monitor your account statements each month and check your credit report on a regular basis.

  • Bill collection agencies might contact you about debts you never incurred.
  • When you go to apply for a mortgage or a car loan, your credit history might have issues holding it up that were not created by you.
  • You might receive mail about an apartment you never rented, a house you never bought or a job you never held.

What should I do if my identity is stolen?
Follow the following steps as soon as possible:

  • Place a fraud alert on your credit report and request a copy of it.
    Contact one of the three companies below. The one company is required to alert the other two:
    • TransUnion: 1-800-680-7289;; Fraud Victim Assistance Division, P.O. Box 6790, Fullerton, CA 92834-6790
    • Equifax: 1-800-525-6285;; P.O. Box 740241, Atlanta, GA 30374-0241
    • Experian: 1-888-EXPERIAN (397-3742);; P.O. Box 9554, Allen, TX 75013
  • Close accounts that have been jeopardized.
    When you open new accounts, use new Personal Identification Numbers (PINs) and passwords. Avoid using easily available information like your mother's maiden name, your birth date, the last four digits of your Social Security number or your phone number, or a series of consecutive numbers.

    If the identity thief has made charges or debits on your accounts, or has fraudulently opened accounts, we will provide the forms to dispute those transactions made at Forcht Bank.
  • File a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission.
    You can file a complaint with the FTC using the online complaint form; or call the FTC's Identity Theft Hotline, toll-free: 1-877-ID-THEFT (438-4338); TTY: 1-866-653-4261; or write Identity Theft Clearinghouse, Federal Trade Commission, 600 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW, Washington, DC 20580. Be sure to call the Hotline to update your complaint if you have any additional information or problems.
  • File a police report.
    Call your local police department and tell them that you want to file a report about your identity theft. If the police are reluctant to take your report, ask to file a "Miscellaneous Incident" report, or try another jurisdiction, like your state police. You also can check with your state Attorney General's office to find out if state law requires the police to take reports for identity theft. Check the Blue Pages of your telephone directory for the phone number or check for a list of state Attorneys General.

    When you go to your local police department to file your report, bring a printed copy of your FTC ID Theft Complaint form, your cover letter, and your supporting documentation. The cover letter explains why a police report and an ID Theft Complaint are so important to victims.

    Ask the officer to attach or incorporate the ID Theft Complaint into their police report. Tell them that you need a copy of the Identity Theft Report (the police report with your ID Theft Complaint attached or incorporated) to dispute the fraudulent accounts and debts created by the identity thief. (In some jurisdictions the officer will not be able to give you a copy of the official police report, but should be able to sign your Complaint and write the police report number in the "Law Enforcement Report" section.)

YouTube Twitter Facebook Google+